Jamie Garwood will be considered for a drug treatment order | The Examiner


news, local news,

A Rocherlea man drove an unregistered motorbike at 130mph down the High Street trying to get away from police, Launceston Magistrates’ Court heard. Jamie Garwood, 39, pleaded guilty to numerous driving offenses including evading police, driving with disqualification and using an unregistered vehicle in George Town and Launceston. He also pleaded guilty to driving with an illicit substance and had to pay the $147 analysis fee. Police prosecutor Andrew Gillard said an officer saw a black Suzuki on Howick Street in September 2021. READ MORE: Review of state-owned sites for new North and South Youth Justice Centers South When the lights were activated, the motorbike passed two cars at a speed of 90 km/h on its way up Howick Street towards High Street. The motorbike turned left onto the High Street and passed cars at speeds of up to 130km/h in a 60 zone, Mr Gillard said. In December 2020 the motorbike, which had escaped police on Lilydale Road earlier that day, was spotted in Kings Meadows refueling. Garwood attempted to flee on foot, but was stopped and the bike seized. Two mobile phones were seized Court heard Garwood was a disqualified driver from August 2020 to 2025. READ MORE: Launceston celebrated IWD at the Clifford Craig Foundation luncheon In July 2021 he was spotted by a agent on leave at a store in Agnes Street. When a police vehicle arrived, he accelerated hard and veered on the wrong side of the road to pass a vehicle before disappearing from view on Soldiers Settlement Road. The black Suzuki motorcycle was distinguished by the absence of a taillight. Several cases that were to be heard were dismissed when the police presented no evidence. Defense attorney Andrew Lonergan said Garwood has spent 170 days in custody over the issues since. He said Garwood had been found fit for a drug treatment order. READ MORE: Suspected Hobart arsonist charged after fire that caused damage estimated at $200,000 Magistrate Simon Brown asked Mr Lonergan if he planned to plead for mitigation. He said his instructions were to request bail. READ MORE: Live flood updates: Thousands ordered to evacuate as rivers swell “I’m not going to bail it out now,” he said. “There are guilty pleas and he is awaiting the execution of his sentence.” Sentencing has been adjourned until March 10.



Comments are closed.